To ensure that all SIMI Mediators keep their skills updated and relevant to the changing needs of parties, SIMI has put in place renewal requirements for each SIMI Mediator tier.
The assessment period for whether a SIMI Mediator has satisfied their respective renewal requirements is a 2-year period, starting from the SIMI Mediator’s first date of joining SIMI.
SIMI directly manages the administration of each SIMI Mediator’s renewal requirements.
Should a SIMI Mediator fail to meet their renewal requirements, they should provide a reasonable explanation. Otherwise, SIMI reserves the right to decline to renew their status as a SIMI Mediator. This will typically be the last option pursued by SIMI.
SIMI ACCREDITED MEDIATOR LEVEL 1
- AT LEAST 2 full-scale mediation (or 20 hours if one or more mediations last longer than one day) conducted in the last 2-year period.
| Up to 1 of the required mediation sessions can be replaced by a Qualifying CPD Event.1
SIMI ACCREDITED MEDIATOR LEVEL 2
- AT LEAST 3 full-scale mediations (or 30 hours if one or more mediations last longer than one day) conducted in the last 2-year period.
SIMI ACCREDITED MEDIATOR LEVEL 3
- AT LEAST 6 full-scale mediations (or 60 hours if one or more mediations last longer than one day) conducted in the last 2-year period.
| Up to 2 of the required mediation sessions can be replaced by a Qualifying CPD Event1.
1A Qualifying CPD Event is defined as either attending or conducting a seminar on a relevant topic to mediation, or observing a mediation as a SIMI Mentee to a SIMI Mentor.
The scope is fairly broad, requiring only that the event is relevant to a mediation topic. This is intentional because aside from keeping up with the latest developments in mediation, we would also like to provide our SIMI Mediators with sufficient flexibility to explore non-traditional topics in furthering their mediation skills and experience.
SIMI Mediators who have doubts over whether an event qualifies may write in to SIMI with information on the event to be considered.
SIMI CERTIFIED MEDIATOR
- Ensure that your feedback digest on your SIMI Certified Mediator profile on the SIMI website has been updated within the last 2 years (i.e. within the 2-year period of the current renewal requirements cycle).
- Be a SIMI Mentor for at least 1 SIMI Mentee.2
- Provide information about your SIMI Mentee(s) and a brief description of mentoring activities.
2If no SIMI Mentee was assigned to the SIMI Certified Mediator during the 2-year period, then the SIMI Certified Mediator need only fulfill the first requirement to update their feedback digest.