About The SIMI Credentialing Scheme
The SIMI Credentialing Scheme is a professional standards scheme developed by SIMI to recognise the experience of professional mediators. It has been tailored and developed with the intention of gradually building up a cohesive and robust pool of professional mediators in Singapore and the region. Some of the key features of the SIMI Credentialing Scheme are:
Tiered System - One key feature of the SIMI Credentialing Scheme is the tiered system. This ensures that individuals of diverse mediation skills and experience are nevertheless able to receive recognition, which will in turn allow them to receive more work through greater exposure and affirmation of the high quality of their service by being a SIMI Mediator.
Cultural Focus - Another defining aspect of the SIMI Credentialing Scheme is an inter-cultural component. This is present in the requirement for the training and assessment to be a SIMI Accredited Mediator Level 1, and is reflective of the diverse profile of disputants in the modern world. SIMI Mediators distinguish themselves through their knowledge in identifying and knowing how to deal with cultural differences that may arise at a mediation.
Feedback - Last but certainly not least, the SIMI Credentialing Scheme encourages and relies strongly on feedback from parties. This is present in the form of the Feedback Digest on the profile of SIMI Certified Mediators, and also through the use of the SIMI Feedback Request Form, which is a requirement for progression to higher tiers after becoming a SIMI Accredited Mediator Level 1. Feedback is very important for not only the personal development of each SIMI Mediator, but also for SIMI and its SIMI Partners to monitor the quality of mediation service that is being provided.
Cross-recognition - SIMI works closely with its partner, the International Mediation Institute (IMI) and has an arrangement whereby SIMI Certified Mediators, the highest tier of the SIMI Credentialing Scheme, will be able to also apply directly to become IMI Certified Mediators, without having to submit additional cases. This is in part, due to the similar levels of experience requirement built into both certification schemes, and is just one example of the work that SIMI carries out on behalf of its mediators to bring them greater recognition and benefits.
There are four tiers under the SIMI Credentialing Scheme:
- SIMI Accredited Mediator Level 1
- SIMI Accredited Mediator Level 2
- SIMI Accredited Mediator Level 3
- SIMI Certified Mediator
A mediator under the SIMI Credentialing Scheme is also referred to generally as a "SIMI Mediator", regardless of their tier.
How To Become A SIMI Mediator
||Complete and pass a SIMI Registered Training Program within the 2 year period immediately preceding the date of application.
Interested in becoming a SIMI Accredited Mediator Level 1? Apply through a SIMI Registered Training Program.
SIMI Registered Training Program
Benefits Of Becoming A SIMI Mediator
All SIMI Mediators, will enjoy the following benefits:
- Able to use elements of the SIMI name for your own promotion and business purposes, subject to the applicable terms and conditions.
- Be featured on our website, with higher tier SIMI Mediators able to put up more details. SIMI Certified Mediators will receive their own unique profile page, complete with a Feedback Digest, and are searchable by users.
- Enjoy exclusive updates and news and priority subscription to events, seminars and conferences organised by SIMI or in collaboration with other organisations such as SIMI Partners.
- Individual user account to log-in to the SIMI Website to access and manage what information is shared.
In addition, SIMI Accredited Mediator Levels 1 and 2 are automatically offered entry in the SIMI Mentorship Scheme (SIMI Accredited Mediators Level 3 and SIMI Certified Mediators form the pool of mentors).
Finally, SIMI Certified Mediators will also enjoy the following unique benefits:
- SIMI Certified Mediators will be featured regularly on SIMI's website, through interviews and write-ups.
- SIMI Certified Mediators will be able to apply to become IMI Certified Mediators, without having to go through an additional assessment process.
The annual fees payable to SIMI by SIMI Mediators from each tier of the SIMI Credentialing Scheme are set out below. All fees received will go towards supporting SIMI's work and operations in maintaining high standards of professional mediation in Singapore and the region, promoting mediation among users and other stakeholders, as well as SIMI's research and education initiatives in mediation academia.
SIMI Accredited Mediator Level 1
SIMI Accredited Mediator Level 2
SIMI Accredited Mediator Level 3
SIMI Certified Mediator
Important points to note about the fees:
- For new SIMI Mediators, fees are payable to SIMI within 4 weeks of being notified that their application has been successful.
- For existing SIMI Mediators, fees are payable to SIMI by 31 March of each calendar year.
- For SIMI Mediators who have successfully promoted to a higher tier, they will be required to pay the new higher fees only from 1 April of the following calendar year.
- SIMI reserves the right to impose a late-payment fee.